When planning a Valentine’s Day date, it’s best to plan your date night in advance; that way you can get your favourite restaurant or activity booked ahead of time and don’t have to worry about not being able to get a spot. Although it is cold this time of the year (depending where you live), it’s still a nice idea to go out and do something for the night. It’s always a good to go out of your comfort zone once in a while and try something new – especially if you can do it with your partner! Since Valentine’s Day falls on a different day of the week every year, you can celebrate even on the weekends before or after. And hey, these ideas are all great for date night no matter what the occasion!
10 Date Night Ideas for Valentine’s Day
1. Cook for/with each other. If going to fancy restaurants isn’t your thing, and you love cooking, then why not just do that? Cook a new meal together at home, or even check out cooking classes offered near you!
2. Go to a show! This could be as easy as planning a movie night, but have you ever considered a comedy show? I go at least two-three times a year and this is by far one of the things we look forward to the most. You can even watch a hypnosis show, a concert, or even a play!
3. Go for drinks at a swanky bar. You can go to the same old bar any night of the week. On Valentine’s Day, try checking out a new bar that has fancy cocktails! You can definitely look some up on Yelp (I do this for restaurants too!).
4. Play board games! Board game cafes are popping up all over the place now. If you live in or near the city, you can easily find one close by! This is also a very affordable option, and you can spend all night here playing a hundred different games. If you want company, you can even invite some other couple’s to play along!
5. Relax! Need I really say more? Honestly, forget about cooking, cleaning, or any other chores! Try booking a couple’s massage or facials. Nothing set’s the mood better than some pampering! You’ll be so relaxed and ready for dinner after this.
6. Staycation anyone? Book a hotel for a night just to get away! It doesn’t have to be super far from where you live, but a difference in scenery is always nice.
7. Go Skating/Rollerblading. When was the last time you actually did something like this with your partner? If you live in an area where you actually get snow, go skating outdoors while sipping on hot chocolate or stay indoors and go rollerblading! The music and hand-holding is just perfect!
8. Go Bowling! Have a competitive nature? Definitely go bowling. I go about every 2-3 months with my boyfriend and it’s just fun to make fun of each other at how bad we are. Or if one of us is on a lucky streak, we make a game of itself. For every strike, the other person has to follow a ‘rule’ that the striker chooses for the next round. An example would be to bowl with your eyes closed, or bowl with your opposite hand. It’s a lot of fun!
9. Watch a sports game. Are either of you a huge fan of a sports team? Check online ticket retailers (Ticket Master, StubHub, VividSeats, Kijiji) for tickets to games, or head to a sports bar and watch the game! Or watch the game at home, but make some appetizers for you both to share!
10. Take a Brewery Tour. I don’t drink beer at all, but I took my boyfriend on a tour for his birthday and it was actually great for both of us! We learned a lot about the process of making beer and saw how it all came together. Free samples were also included along the way (which my boyfriend happily took from me).
I usually just go out for dinner and watch a movie, but after seeing my whole list, I think I should take my own advice and do something different like I suggested lol! We usually end up watching some basketball since Valentine’s Day usually falls around the All Star Weekend. Which is great for both of us – food & basketball, win win!